This week I am celebrating the little things. The little things that are noticed every day. Quietly appreciated. Simple and soothing. These are the things that just make everything right.
Five little appreciations currently on my mind:
- Picking up holds at the public library. Each book contains more than a story, it holds nuances of experience. Even though I don’t know the other readers who have already or will still read each story I read, I feel like we are sharing something.
- Garden spaces that I walk by everyday. Right now front yards, back lanes and boulevards are exploding in colour and various shades of green. I particularly love the lavender, huge allium heads bursting out and hosta leaves unfurling.
- Coffee jostling in our school cafeteria every morning. Staff shift in and out to grab coffee. There is time for snippets of conversation. Morning smiles and hugs from students eating breakfast remind us all about the strength of our school community.
- Writers in my room. So many students have so much more confidence. Voice is developing. The ideas that are communicated are full of wisdom and curiosity and new perspective.
- Laundry on the line. I love watching clothing shift with the breeze, the smell of course evokes decades of memories and the slight screech of the clothesline as I reel in clothes reminds me to slow down and be in the moment. There is something about doing a task that I have been doing since I was a child that is so grounding.
I celebrate these lucky little things that are mine with much appreciation.
Thank you to Ruth Ayres and the #celebratelu community! Being part of a community that regularly shares gratitude and celebrations truly transforms my weeks.
Ohhhh ….. I pray I am there for the coffee chit chats next year ….. And for the writing blocks!!!! Xoxo
Me too. So very much.
I love the hints of summer in this post. Blooming plants and clotheslines full.
Your thoughts about the people who have shared library books with you are wonderful. The hands that have touched the pages and shared your thoughts. Hmmm… Makes me wonder if there might be something to add to our classroom library books — a record of those who have read over the months and years.
It’s like the older library books in our school collection who have names written on the inside card – not too many of those left but I love that history!
I think you’ve written a poem today, Carrie, loved every little bit!
Thanks Linda! I got up and had coffee and this is what happened. I love not knowing what each week’s celebration might be.
I was noticing and loving the green around our town now. These little things like holds and beautiful plants are definitely some of the wonderful things in life. 🙂
And isn’t it nice to pause and appreciate them? 🙂
Lovely! Your thought about holds makes me think about how often I forget to be grateful for the librarians willing to ransack shelves constantly to fetch books that just magically appear when I go to pick them up. Such a blessing!
I love the little things. Those are for sure my favorite things to find. I, too, share the sharing feeling of borrowing library books. And…clothes on a line, dreamy. Sleeping on line dried sheets is heaven.
Isn’t it? One of my favourite things about spring/summer!
It is the little things in life that bring about the best celebrations. I miss the clothesline days. There is something about sheets and towels fresh from the country line! Have a great week.
Thanks Leigh Anne – wishing you a great week full of little celebrations too!
The first line of each paragraph forms a lovely poem.
🙂 Just went back to reread – these were things that just stood out this week!
Pingback: Celebrate: Little Appreciations from Last Week #celebratelu 5/23/15 | the dirigible plum