This week I am celebrating the little things. The little things that are noticed every day. Quietly appreciated. Simple and soothing. These are the things that just make everything right.
Five little appreciations currently on my mind:
- Picking up holds at the public library. Each book contains more than a story, it holds nuances of experience. Even though I don’t know the other readers who have already or will still read each story I read, I feel like we are sharing something.
- Garden spaces that I walk by everyday. Right now front yards, back lanes and boulevards are exploding in colour and various shades of green. I particularly love the lavender, huge allium heads bursting out and hosta leaves unfurling.
- Coffee jostling in our school cafeteria every morning. Staff shift in and out to grab coffee. There is time for snippets of conversation. Morning smiles and hugs from students eating breakfast remind us all about the strength of our school community.
- Writers in my room. So many students have so much more confidence. Voice is developing. The ideas that are communicated are full of wisdom and curiosity and new perspective.
- Laundry on the line. I love watching clothing shift with the breeze, the smell of course evokes decades of memories and the slight screech of the clothesline as I reel in clothes reminds me to slow down and be in the moment. There is something about doing a task that I have been doing since I was a child that is so grounding.
I celebrate these lucky little things that are mine with much appreciation.
Thank you to Ruth Ayres and the #celebratelu community! Being part of a community that regularly shares gratitude and celebrations truly transforms my weeks.