This week I want to celebrate the gratitude that happens in my classroom every week.
I teach a Grade 2/3/4 class of delightful and compassionate children. Here are some of them sending some PEACE to the world after their hip hop performance today.
Every week, at least once, we have a Gratitude Circle and pass a special stone. On the first go around some children might not share (they can say “Pass”). But as the stone comes around again, everyone always takes a turn. We talk about how sharing your gratitude (big or small) is a gift and hearing other people’s gratitude lifts us up.
In our circle on Tuesday, one of our girls said:
“I am grateful for all of the gratefulness in the room.”
This statement stopped us in our tracks for a moment. What a profound observation. What a beautiful community we have created. Because it lifts me up every week, I am sharing some of the precious gratitude statements I got to hear this week here. What better thing to celebrate?
“I am grateful . . .
- ” . . . for the new nonfiction books and all of the other books in our room.”
- ” . . . because it is almost my Mom’s birthday.”
- ” . . . for yoga because it calms us down.”
- ” . . . because we are going to do a Hip Hop performance and we can Krump!”
- ” . . . for the Rump book because we all love it and it is so fun.” (Oh how we love you, Liesl Shurtliff!)
- ” . . . for people who can be kind to each other.”
- ” . . . for my family.”
- ” . . . for Valentines day and love.”
- ” . . . for all the teachers and adults who help us at our school.”
Wishing everyone a week full of moments to stop and be grateful. Thank you for celebrating with me!